Thu, Feb 29|
St. Lawrence College
Skills Competition 2024 - Job Interview
PURPOSE OF THE CONTEST To evaluate each competitor’s ability to prepare a resume and cover letter pertaining to a specific job posting and effectively communicate their thoughts and display their critical thinking skills through a formal job interview.
Time & Location
Feb 29, 2024, 9:00 a.m. – 7:30 p.m. EST
St. Lawrence College, 100 Portsmouth Ave, Kingston, ON K7L 5A6, Canada
9:00am - 9:30am Competitor Registration & Welcome
9:30am - 12:30pm Competition
12:30pm - 1:00pm Lunch
1:00pm - 3:30pm Competition
3:30pm - 4:00pm Clean up
4:00pm - 5:00pm Pizza & Results Submitted
5:30pm - 6:30pm Awards
6:30pm - 7:30pm Open House & Collect Projects/Tools
1. PURPOSE OF THE CONTEST
To evaluate each competitor’s ability to prepare a resume and cover letter pertaining to a specific job posting and effectively communicate their thoughts and display their critical thinking skills through a formal job interview.
2. SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE TO BE TESTED
The Limestone Skills Job Interview Competition requires you to prepare and submit a resume and cover letter for one of the two positions posted with this scope. These submissions will be assessed by a panel of evaluators in advance of an interview. An interview relative to the position you applied for will be conducted on the day of competition. Each participant is evaluated on the application and interview.
1. Each competitor selects one of the two available positions listed below and will be judged on their interview and supporting application for this position. More detailed descriptions and requirements are provided for each position on the LDSB Expanded Opportunities website below the Job Interview scope.
• Catering Assistant
• Junior Construction Labourer
2. Each competitor prepares an application for their selected position. The application must include a cover letter and résumé targeted to the competitor’s selection.
3. Each competitor must e-mail a copy of their signed cover letter and résumé for their selected position to the Job Interview Competition Chairperson, Katherine English, attached in a single PDF format at:
The e-mail must be received by the Chairperson no later than February 23rd, 2024.
For application submissions after February 23 rd , 2024, please contact Katherine English (email@example.com)
The Competitions Department will reply by return e-mail to confirm receipt of the application and include the interview time scheduled for February 29 th , 2024. The competitor shall contact Katherine English if this confirmation is not received. The competitor should bring the confirmation email to the competition site and present at registration. If the competitor did not receive a confirmation e-mail and the judges have no cover letter or resume from the competitor, the competitor will then decide whether to continue with the interview portion of the competition.
4. Interviews will be scheduled and held for all competitors on the competition day. The interview questions will be the same for all competitors. It is the competitor’s responsibility to ensure that they arrive on time for the scheduled interview time on February 29 th , 2024.
3. JUDGING CRITERIA
Cover Letter 10
Job Interview Presentation 15
Job Interview Responses 50
There can be no ties – if the score is even after the contest, the job interview responses will be used as the tiebreaker. Rule infractions will result in appropriate mark deductions at the discretion of the Technical Committee. Any disqualifications will be reviewed by the Director of Competitions.
Safety is a priority at the Skills Ontario Competition. At the discretion of the Technical
Committee, any competitor can be removed from the competition site for not having the proper
safety equipment and/or not acting in a safe manner.
CATERING ASSISTANT JOB POSTING
We are seeking secondary students with an interest in working with our food-catering professionals. Gastronomic Kitchens has been recognized as one of the up-and-coming food- caterers in town and has a reputation for delivering excellent service and scrumptious food.
We have full-time and part-time hours available for qualified youth during our busy summer period. As part of our dynamic team of food professionals, you will have a varied role which will involve preparing and packaging food for transport to our customers, serving at various functions and parties, assisting in site setup and cleanup when required, as well as working with our event planners.
We require the following:
• Collaboration: you work well with others and help the group achieve their goals in a cooperative manner
• Self-motivated: you take initiative to do work without continual direction
• Adaptability: you strive to meet the changing expectations of, and provide an extraordinary experience for, your customers
• Positive Attitude: you have an upbeat attitude, and a sense of fun
• Communication: Ability to listen well and express yourself clearly verbally and in writing as well as read, understand, and follow oral and written instructions (inclusive of online, text and email) for various tasks and site set-up
• Problem Solving: identifies and addresses potential issues while on job site
• Reading/Writing/Digital: ability to access company/employee website to see assigned daily work locations, as well as complete and submit weekly time sheets
• Education/Experience: Previous training or experience working in food preparation or hospitality is desired, but not a requirement
• Licenses/Certifications: Current first aid certification would be an asset, however successful candidates will receive appropriate first aid training
Full or part-time hours are available from late June to late August. With good performance, there may be opportunity for employment in future years.
Please email your résumé and cover letter, in one PDF file, by 4:00pm on Friday, February 23 rd , 2024, to Katherine English at firstname.lastname@example.org
JUNIOR CONSTRUCTION LABOURER JOB POSTING
ABC Contracting are seeking youth interested in the construction trades for summer employment in our busy residential renovation company. Our company provides competitive benefits, salaries, and some flexibility for working hours.
The Junior Construction Labourer will assist with a variety of tasks including demolition, framing, drywalling, and interior or exterior finishing. The successful candidate will contribute to maintaining a clean worksite and perform other assigned tasks. The candidate must also be energetic, take pride in their work, and enjoy working both indoors and outdoors. Initial training and safety orientation will be provided to all successful applicants.
We require the following:
• Collaboration: you are helpful to others in getting work done cooperatively
• Adaptability: you are responsive to the needs of clients and co-workers
• Positive Attitude: you bring an upbeat attitude to our busy worksites
• Communication: Ability to listen well, express yourself clearly; and read, understand, and follow oral and written instructions (inclusive of online, text and email)
• Self Motivated: you take initiative in addressing tasks that need doing
• Problem Solving: identifies and addresses potential issues while on worksite
• Reading/Writing/Digital: ability to access company/employee website to see assigned work location for the week, as well as complete and submit weekly time sheets
• Ability to carry heavy materials and exert yourself physically during long shifts
• Ability to work safely and adhere to all safety procedures and requirements
• Licenses/Certifications: Current first aid certification is asset
Full-time or part-time hours are available from late June to late August. With good performance, there
may be opportunity for continued part-time employment during the school year or repeat employment in
Please email your résumé and cover letter, in one PDF file, by 4:00pm on Friday, February 23 rd , 2024,
to Katherine English at email@example.com